Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Summer Sports

Well, summer is almost here. Well, that's what the calendar tells us, but the weather doesn't seem to want warm up and stay there. As summer approaches, many of us get excited about spending time outside as that beautiful weather is limited in Wisconsin. But what sports to you get most excited about? Are you a religous watcher of the Brewers? Or do you tune in weekly for NASCAR or the PGA Tour? What events do you most look forward to in the summer months?
As you know, I watch pretty closely what is happening in Brew Town with the Crew. I was a bit discouraged at the start of the season, (and I was still celebrating UNC's domination of the NCAA) but the team seems to have turned it around in the early going. Once again, it's all dependent on the pitching they get from Suppan, Parra, and Looper. You know what you're going to get out of Gallardo, and it seems as Dave Bush is turning into a solid start each time out. We'll see if they can keep up this pace and stay in it throughout the summer.
NASCAR, yadda yadda. I don't follow it, but I do pay attention to who wins once and awhile as my Dad is a big fan. All I know is Earnhardt Jr. hasn't won in like 2 years or something. It's the only sport I know where the most popular person in the sport, isn't one of the best 2-3 faces in the sport. That is if you consider it a sport.
Golf, love it. Love to watch Tiger hand out beat downs. It appears he's off to a slow start coming off his knee surgery, but he'll be fine. I think it's funny how he's off to a "slow" start but has finished in the top 10 in the Masters and the recent TPC at Sawgrass. It just goes to show how high he has set the bar. US Open is coming up at Bethpage and then I always love getting up early to watch the British. PGA Championship is at nearby Hazletine, and then next year right here in Wisconsin back at Whistling Straits.
Oh yeah, the NBA is still going. I thought basketball was a winter sport? Well I haven't had much of an interest in the past 10 years, (maybe because the Bucks are terrible?), but it appears to be back on the rise somewhat with big names like LeBron, Kobe, DWade, CP3, and others. Look for the Cavs to beat the Lakers in the NBA Finals, although I'd love to see George Karl and the Nuggets win it all.
So, there you have it. This is what I pay attention to for sports in the summer. What is it that you like best?
PS- I almost forgot, I also love following the World Series of Poker online. It starts in early June and runs for about 40 days. Maybe it's because I love Vegas and go out there each summer. It's great. Everyone should follow this great event!!!

No comments: